The end of the year is looming and you may be thinking about your next career move. But, how do you choose between ‘good’ and ‘good’, when you receive two ‘similar’ job offers? Will you be wooed by a larger package or a more senior job title?
The Job. Ask yourself:
- What do you love about your current role? Are these tasks even listed on the job description? To find out how to accelerate your career by determining your sweet spot click here.
- Will you have visibility to senior leaders to be recognized for your work or to learn from them?
- What is the new role offering you that’s new? How will it challenge you; if at all?
The People and Company. Once you’ve been for an interview, ask yourself:
- What do you like or dislike about the people who work at the new company? Remember they will not change for you!
- Could these people be overselling the job and the company, to lure you to work for them? You can often find information online about companies and what it is really like to work there e.g. Glassdoor.
- Are the company values aligned to your own?
- Are there opportunities to grow and develop; to study?
- Where is the company located? Will your travel time be acceptable?
Whatever you decide, remember that the job title, salary and benefits package are just the start. Don’t be wooed too quickly. Take everything into consideration and if it doesn’t feel right, listen to your instincts and carry on searching.
If anything in this article has piqued your interest, please contact me.
Helen Martin is a qualified coach and trainer and lives in London. She is a member of the Association for Coaching and coaches individuals through change. She can be contacted here.