This topic is as relevant now as when I first wrote it 5 years ago. If you are thinking about your next career move, what do you do when you receive two ‘similar’ job offers? How do you choose between ‘good’ and ‘good’? Will you be wooed by a larger package or a more senior job title?
The Job. Ask yourself:
- What do you love about your current role? Are the activities that you love, even listed in the job description?
- Will you have access to senior leaders, to learn from them and be recognized for your work?
- What is the new role offering you that’s new? How will it challenge you; if at all?
The People and Company. Once you have had an interview, ask yourself:
- What do you like or dislike about the people who work at the new company? Remember they will not change for you!
- Could these people be overselling the job and the company, to lure you to work for them? You can often find information online about companies and what it is really like to work there e.g. Glassdoor.
- Are the company values aligned to your own?
- Are there opportunities to grow and develop in the company?
- Where is the company located? Will your travel time be acceptable?
Whatever you decide, remember that the job title, salary, and benefits package are just the start. Don’t be wooed too quickly. Take everything into consideration and if it doesn’t feel right, listen to your instincts, and carry on searching.
Good luck with your job search!